Care & Use
Tableware – Porcelain and Earthenware
Designed for modern day living, Portmeirion’s tableware is “oven-to-table”, microwave, and dishwasher safe. Some items can even go from freezer to oven (providing the dish is at least half full with food or liquid). To get the most from your tableware, please review the following Tips.
- Most tableware items – such as dinner plates, mugs, serving bowls or platters, etc. – can be placed in a warm oven (225° F or lower), but should not be used for cooking.
- Cookware items – such as lasagne dishes, roasters, ramekins, casseroles, etc. – are designed to perform at temperatures normally used for cooking up to 425° F.
- Do not use items that include non-ceramic materials, such as salt and pepper shakers, in the oven or microwave.
- Do not place items on a direct source of heat, e.g., halogen burner, electric coil, or gas burner.
- Allow ware to cool naturally for a short period of time before placing it in water to wash or on a cold or wet surface such as tile, stone or metal. Do not cool items by placing them in cool water.
- For microwave use, follow your manufacturer’s manual for guidelines. Do not use your microwave to warm plates. When microwave cooking foods that exude fluids such as fish, bacon, etc., be sure to place a paper towel under the foods to absorb the hot fluids to dissipate the thermal shock of super-heated fluids. Remember that ceramics will pick up some of the heat created in the microwave, so use care in holding handles or picking up plates.
Cleaning Your Tableware
All Portmeirion earthenware and porcelain tableware is easy to clean, either using a dishwasher or by hand using conventional detergents.
If you use a dishwasher, follow the manufacturer’s instructions. We recommend liquid detergents over powder and recommend against using detergents with “lemon” or other citrus scents/additives as they can have a long-term detrimental effect on ceramic glazes and cause colors to fade. Abrasive heavy duty detergents, scouring powders, or steel wool pads should never be used.
Occasionally, dark streaks may be found on your tableware from contact with silverware or kitchen utensils. Apply a small amount of a gentle, non-abrasive cleaner such as Zud or Barkeeper’s Friend on a soft, wet cloth or sponge.
Please note that Evesham Gold products, because of the gold banding, are not dishwasher safe.
Portmeirion’s cutlery items such as cake slicers, teaspoons, or pastry forks are made from stainless steel and have beautiful porcelain handles. We recommend that these are hand washed in mild soapy water and dried with a soft cloth.
Our textiles are made from high-quality materials and are designed for everyday use. As with all textiles, wear and tear will occur. Please read the care tags on individual items for recommended methods and if you use washers and dryers, please follow the manufacturers’ instructions.
Placemats & Coasters
Using the highest quality materials, Pimpernel placemats and coasters provide a durable surface to protect surfaces from heat, scratches, and staining. All placemats and coasters in the collection are made using an unrivalled layering system with a cork base, hardwood middle, fantastic design, and protective, hard-wearing surface.
Designed for everyday living, placemats and coasters are resistant to normal household stains and withstand temperatures up to the boiling point of water. They are not suitable for use as chopping boards.
We recommend that you clean placemats and coasters with a damp sponge and dry with a soft cloth. DO NOT immerse in water or put in a dishwasher.
Crystal & Glass
Our glassware is of the best quality. We recommend that you wash by hand to keep the glass at its best. If you choose to use a dishwasher, please note that this may cause the glass to “bloom”, develop a haze, or the design may lose brilliance.
The tray collection from Pimpernel includes both wooden and melamine products. All trays are heat resistant with a wipe clean surface.
- For wood products, we recommend that you wipe with a damp cloth. Do not immerse in water or wash in a dishwasher.
- For melamine products, use a damp cloth with or without a mild dish soap or vinegar diluted in water. Do not use abrasive cleansers. Do not place hot objects on the melamine as it may blister or warp. Do not use melamine products as cutting boards.
Our enamelware products are manufactured with high quality gauge carbon steel with a durable porcelain enamel finish that is chip and stain resistant. Please follow these instructions for care and use:
- When used on electric ranges, use medium to high setting.
- When used on gas ranges, use the medium flame.
- When used on ceramic-top ranges, use low to medium settings. Do NOT use the high setting.
- Do not put ware on a lit or hot burner; turn on stove after placing ware on it. Place kettle on center of burner.
- Do not allow the kettle to boil dry or put the stock pot on the range empty.
- For the kettle, wait about 10 seconds before pouring.
- After the kettle is used, allow it to cool before running water in it. After it is cool, empty any water in it and wipe dry, particularly the spout.
- If water is allowed to sit in the kettle, small amounts of rust may occur. To remove rust stains or mineral deposits, add two tablespoons of baking soda and the juice of half a lemon, then boil for approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Not recommended for the dishwasher. Use dish detergent and water with a non-abrasive sponge or dish cloth. Do not use abrasive cleaners.
- Always use a pot holder when handling hot enamelware.